Dr David Neal
Consultant Gastroenterologist & Physician
Special clinical interests
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux
- Clinical nutrition
- Liver disease
- Bowel disease including inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
- Peptic ulcers
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Biliary and Pancreatic disease.
Dr Neal was appointed as a Consultant Gastroenterologist and Physician in 2004. He trained at Southampton Medical School and undertook postgraduate training in Southampton, Portsmouth and Leicester. He completed his higher specialist training in Norwich and Cambridge where he spent three years undertaking clinical research into the complications of liver transplantation leading to the award of a Doctor of Medicine degree.
Dr Neal leads the clinical nutrition team in Eastbourne and he was the clinical lead in East Sussex for cancers of the stomach, oesophagus, liver and pancreas until 2018. He is a Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of London and he supervises the training of junior doctors in general medicine and gastroenterology.
- Consultant Gastroenterologist at Eastbourne District General Hospital
- Clinical Lead for nutrition in Eastbourne
- Educational supervisor for junior doctors
- Member of the Specialist Training Committee for Kent, Surrey and Sussex Deanery.
- Diagnostic and therapeutic upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
- Colonoscopy and flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Insertion of percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) tubes.
Dr Neal has a keen interest in sport and enjoys playing tennis. He has an eclectic taste in music and prefers vinyl over digital!